The function of assistant superintendent is to assist the superintendent of schools in the administration of the school program. The assistant superintendent is charged with developing, coordinating and maintaining all business-related programs and services, as well as the administration and supervision of all non-instructional employees.
The assistant superintendent coordinates with the BOCES Central Business Office the activities of the purchasing agent and supervises the purchasing activities of the district. He or she supervises the accounting for school district funds.
In the absence of the superintendent, the assistant superintendent shall assume responsibility for district operations.
Other assistant superintendent duties include, but are not limited to:
- Supervises the services and activities in care for the school physical plant: maintaining safe, clean and attractive conditions, facilities, grounds and equipment in order to provide a desirable educational environment;
- Responsible for department budget proposals;
- Monitors work of outside contractors;
- Represents the district on all health insurance, worker’s compensation insurance, unemployment insurance and student accident insurance;
- Coordinates the district food service program;
- Acts as an advisor for capital construction and in all matters of school construction;
- Supervises the financial matters of the district transportation program with consultation from the director of auxiliary services;
- Assists and coordinates district tax collection;
- Assists in the development and completion of all state and federal grant application and accountability reports not directly under the responsibility of the district’s chief information officer. This includes Title I, IIA, III and the UPK grants as well as BEDS data;
- Interacts with the community on matters of the financial operation of the district;
- Acts as lead evaluator for the teacher’s Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) appeal procedures, as well as conducts teacher observations as needed;
- When appropriate, supports and assists in matters of non-instructional personnel;
- Coordinates appropriate activities with the BOCES MITS computer coordinator;
- Oversees Insurance for Property, Liability, Auto and School Board Legal Insurance;
- Serves on district bargaining team for all contracts.