The Maine-Endwell Director of Health, Physical Education, and Athletics oversees all aspects of K-12 physical education curriculum, health education curriculum and grades seven to 12 interscholastic athletic program. The director reports directly to the superintendent of schools and the board of education.
The director is responsible for instructional observations and evaluations of all physical education teachers, as well as all coaches in the district. The director is responsible for setting department goals, and professional staff observations, and Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) evaluations.
Other director duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develops and implements a quality program of physical education that meets all New York State education curriculum standards and requirements;
- Ensures that the district is in compliance with all physical education regulations;
- Provides professional development opportunities for staff, and provides certification opportunities for all physical education teachers and athletic coaches;
- Serves as district advisor to the superintendent of schools in all matters related to athletics;
- Prepares the budget for interscholastic athletics, physical education and health education;
- Responsible for compliance of all New York State Public High School Athletic Association Section IV, STAC Conference, and Maine-Endwell CSD policies, procedures, and regulations;
- Coordinates all athletic field maintenance and renovation schedules for district athletic fields and facilities;
- Provides leadership and guidance for the development, revision, and compliance of all athletic written policies;
- Responsible for monitoring student athlete eligibility including the student handbook and code of conduct policy;
- Develops all interscholastic schedules and is responsible for final arrangements of all contests, including transportation;
- Coordinates (with MS/HS nurse) physical examinations and medical updates for all athletes during the school year and summer months;
- Responsible for approving individual student athletes to be eligible for and participate in a sport based on academic standing, physical examination/permission slip and eligibility;
- Represents our school district in all STAC Conference, Section IV and state interscholastic athletic matters;
- District contact for all pupil benefits reports and documents all student accident reports for the district;
- Co-chair of the district wellness committee, chair of the district concussion management team.