Maine-Endwell Senior High School
* The MEHS Attendance Policy is linked to credit – thus, in order to earn credit in a particular course, a student can NOT exceed the following limits:
Full Year Course (40 weeks) = 20 absences
Split Year Course (meets every other day) = 12
Half-Year Course (20 weeks) = 10
*A student who exceeds these amounts will receive an Academic Incomplete (AI) indicating they are being denied credit for the course as a result of exceeding the absence limit.
*SEE ATTENDANCE CONTRACT.
* The MEHS Attendance Policy differentiates between an EXCUSED absence and an UNEXCUSED absence. The definition of each is:
EXCUSED – Any absence, tardiness, or early departure for which the pupil has a valid school approved excuse. Such excused nonappearance shall include: personal illness, illness or death in the family, religious observance, quarantine, required court appearances, attendance at health clinics or other medical visits, approved college visits, military obligations, absences approved in advance by the Principal, and other reasons as may be approved by the Commissioner of Education.
*PLEASE NOTE: In order for an absence / tardy to be reported as excused, a written note is expected when the student returns to school. If a note is not received within five (5) days after the student returns, the absence / tardy will be recorded as unexcused.
UNEXCUSED – Any absence, tardiness, or early departure for which the pupil has no valid school approved excuse. Such unexcused nonappearance shall include: shopping trips to local malls, family vacation, oversleeping, skipping class, and any other absence that is not excused.
* The MEHS Attendance Policy allows for students to make up missed work if their absence is EXCUSED. The following procedure applies:
The student is required to complete the makeup assignment given by the teacher of the course for the class absence. It is the expectation that teachers will provide opportunities for class makeup’s. All class makeup activities will be decided by the teacher (EXCUSED absences only).
* The MEHS uses several intervention strategies to inform, document, and monitor student attendance. The various examples include:
1. Verbal (phone call) or Written communication by teachers, guidance counselors, and / or administrators. We will use the five week interim reports and ten week report card for attendance notification. Please review these every five weeks to determine student absences per class.
2. At the maximum limit (20, 12, 10) a student will be offered an Attendance Contract by the administration. ANY subsequent absence while on an Attendance Contract MUST BE EXCUSED (students will need to follow makeup procedures). An UNEXCUSED absence will result in revocation of the contract and the student will receive an Academic Incomplete.